Every weekend Irish mammies are telling us to ‘line the stomach’ before heading out. While the advice is well-meaning, there is no evidence to back up the idea that eating more food will allow a person to consume more alcohol.
While some foods may slow down the rate at which alcohol is absorbed, no amount of food will not prevent intoxication. This is because the body takes one hour to process one standard drink which is one small glass of wine (100ml) or a half pint of beer (284ml). Food will neither slow down or speed up the process.
Ok so food won’t prevent intoxication or drunkness, but its a great way to slow down the rate at which you drink or socialise without alcohol. Here are some tasty cheap and simple finger food ideas you can whip up if you’re heading out with friends.
You have exactly five minutes before people arrive. GO
- Drain one can of chickpeas and throw them into the blender with one peeled garlic clove, a spoon of tahini paste, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Season with salt to taste and add to a bowl. Voilà, serve up with crackers or bread
Lazy Cheese Fingers
This is the ultimate ‘faking it’ dish. If all you have if cheese, butter and bread then fear not. Vertically slice up your grilled cheese toastie and serve on a plate with a ketchup or mayo dip. They won’t know a thing!
- Scoop out the flesh of two avocados and add them to a bowl
- Mash the avocados with a fork and stir in one
- You can also add tomatoes, onions or even chillis. Let’s face it though, what student has time for that?
- Place nacho chips in the oven for five minutes at 180 degrees sprinkled with the cheese.
- Serve up your guac and nachos and enjoy!
Are you heading out this weekend?
Make sure to check out the Stay Yourself website for helpful hints on tips for a great night out.
Not drinking too much on a night out and pacing yourself can be the difference between being OK and KO’d.