Dit wins camogie division 1 league semi final over ucd

The venue was the splendid setting of DIT’s new pitches on their Grangegorman campus and a cold night was soon to be heated up with the on-field action.
DIT opened the scoring with a fine Aoife Minogue point before UCD sharpshooter Catherine Costelloe evened things up. Over the next ten minutes, UCD took control around the middle third putting huge pressure on the DIT defenders. Catherine Foley was hugely impressive at fullback and fended off many opposition attacks. Herself and Denise McGrath had a huge battle over the 60 minutes and neither were willing to give an inch. 
UCD slowly started picking off points until three long range points from Orla Beagan kickstarted DIT into life . Costelloe was unerring from places balls for the Belfield outfit and was largely responsible for the 0-9 0-6 halftime lead. 
UCD started the second half as they finished the first, applying huge pressure and attacking in numbers. Another free from Costelloe put them 4 up and shortly after they were awarded a penalty. A chance to go 7 points up and put one foot in the final was on offer but a superb save from Faye McCarthy was quickly diapatched up the field and DIT pegged back a point. Game on. 
This seemed to spark a bit of life into the city girls and a real ding-dong battle ensued. DIT’s Aoife Minogue and Sarah Nagle started to have a bigger influence on proceedings, whilst UCD’s Sarah Kent and Doireann Mullaney also started to make telling contributions.
Some wayward shooting by the UCD forwards was punished as DIT edged ever closer and they were then awarded a penalty . Goalkeeper McCarthy stepped up but her opposite number 1 saved and the danger was averted, for now.
Niall William’s side led 0-13 0-11 as we edged towards the full time whistle . DIT were awarded a free, wide out on the right and Aoife Minogue stood over the ball. Instructions were issued from the sideline and the ball was low and hard towards the army of players in front. The ball was blocked but not properly dealt with and DIT’s Aoife Farrell rifled the ball to the back of the net to put her side a point up with only seconds remaining. 
UCD had one final chance but the home side had their tails up and calmly worked the ball out until the referee signalled the end of play. This game was a tough physical battle with huge commitment and endeavour shown from both sides. 
UCD will rue their missed chances as they could have had an unassailable lead at one stage. It is one they will feel they left behind.  DIT however will take great courage from the last 15 minutes where they played their best camogie. They now face a huge task against the current Division 1 and Ashbourne Champions. 
Story courtesy of Ann Marie Guinan.