UCD's Freshers hurlers have continued their winning streak in the Independent.ie league after they claimed their third win from three games at the expense of Carlow I.T. on a cold Wednesday afternoon at Belfield.

UCD 2-19

Carlow I.T. 0-15

James Maher's attacking industry was a sight to behold as the half-forward from Kilkenny claimed 1-4 in all. Clare-reared Cathal Madden matched Maher for spells of the game but he simply couldn't hold the outrageous attacker for UCD. The Freshford clubman played in the wing-back position in the Leinster MHC final last year but his most recent games for UCD's freshers have shown that he is a natural centre-forward who commands the flow of play. Carlow I.T. matched the home-side for the opening quarter but it wasn't long until UCD grabbed the game by the throat to reel in another victory in preparation for their much-fancied clash with DCU on Wednesday next.

Carlow opened up a two-point advantage with nine minutes gone as Tommy Nolan, James Kilmartin, Donal Meegan and Seán Stafford obliged (0-4 to 0-2). But UCD soon found a way to hinder their oppositions aid of the gale as they employed wing-forward Seán Treacy as a sweeper and encouraged Gearóid Cullen to drift around the middle third of the park. 

When Paul O'Connor took a hold of the lead with his 18th minute point, there was no stopping UCD. Tenacious attackers Gearóid Cullen, Eoghan O'Naoire and James Maher held the crowd in awe with the points and Maher epitomised their dogged nature on 25 minutes when he bounded past Gavin O'Halloran but did so illegally. Minutes later, Carlow's battlements were cut open when Gearóid Cullen rode through a number of tackles and found Paul O'Connor who rattled the net. While Seán Stafford tried to lift Carlow's twenty-minute siege, his pointed free was only a brief relief as James Maher made an audacious run and struck the ball to Daryl Ryan's net. Tommy Nolan's injury-time point pared down his side's halftime deficit to 2-7 to 0-6.

Nolan and Stafford did their utmost to keep Carlow in touch but when UCD had the advantage of the elements they tagged on points at their leisure. In the space of just two minutes, UCD landed four points to create a 2-16 to 0-9 gulf on 47 minutes. After a number of UCD substitutions had been made, Carlow put their scoring-boots back on and a late string of four points from Eoin Quinn, Gavin O'Halloran (2) and Tommy Nolan cut UCD's margin of victory to 2-19 to 0-15. UCD's record will be challenged next week though as DCU have yet to be beaten also. Carlow I.T.'s next game is in a fortnight's time as they face Dublin I.T.

UCD - Darragh O'Callaghan, James Tynan, Cormac Fleming, Jake Malone, Bill Eviston, Donnacha Ó Múrchú, Jake Mullaney, Eoghan O'Naoire (0-1), Joe Mellerick (0-2), Dara Ó Gallachóir (0-1), James Maher (capt., 1-4), Seán Treacy (0-1), Paul O'Connor (1-1), Gearóid Cullen (0-4, 2 frees), Pádraic Guinan. Subs: Tom Phelan (0-4), Shane O'Brien (0-1). 

Carlow I.T. - Daryl Ryan, Jack O'Sullivan, Gavin O'Halloran (0-2), Luke O'Dea, David Burke, Cathal Madden (capt.), Seán Tierney, James Kilmartin (0-2), Eoin Quinn (0-1), Donal Meegan (0-1), Tommy Nolan (0-4), Liam O'Brien, John McCarthy, Seán Stafford (0-5 frees), Shane O'Sullivan.

Referee - Paul Faughnan.