Sea Sessions is celebrating its tenth year in action this summer, so we're looking at the ten reasons why you should pick up a ticket.
Sea Sessions Surf & Music Festival, Winners of IMRO Live Music Festival of the year for 2016, is returning for its tenth year this summer from Friday 23 to Sunday 25 June. More than just a music festival, check out just ten of the reasons why Sea Sessions is Ireland’s most unique festival.
1. It's in Donegal and located on the Wild Atlantic Way. If there wasn’t already enough reasons to go to Sea Sessions, Donegal was named the "Coolest Place on the Planet" by National Geographic Traveller Magazine, with writers name checking it as the top place to visit in 2017 ahead of Santiago and Helsinki.
2. It's Ireland's only Surf Music Festival and if you want to know what the world would look like if surfers took over, it’s a must.
3. Sea Sessions won Best Music Festival at the highly respected IMRO awards. Yep, beating off the likes of Electric Picnic, Cork Jazz and Longitude was a pretty massive achievement for a 5,000 capacity festival.
4. Sea Sessions spots and supports new talent. Alongside the upcoming bands that have played when nobody knew them (Picture This, Walking on Cars, The Riptide Movement), there is also the excellent Unsigned Sessions that plucks 2 winners from 100’s of entries each year. The winners for 2017 are Wolff and Étáin.
5. It's in the middle of a town to look after all your needs and wants! You can go to the pub, grab a bite or party into the wee small hours in one of the nightclubs. Sea Sessions is the only festival to be blessed with multiple accommodation options, from surf hostels, to the main campsite, the fancy posh campsite, apartments, 3 and 4 star hotels, B&B's and guest houses.
6. The scenic location. It’s right on an actual beach! It’s also one of the most scenic places on the planet, no other festival in Ireland can boast the view from the main stage. Artists get to watch the sun set into the Atlantic while they play to you.
7. It’s unpretentious. There won’t be Summer Solstice bonfires and people dressed up as extras from Alice in Wonderland. There will be Waves and there will be Rock’n’Roll.
8. The stuff to do. It’s not just bands, there’s loads of other stuff you can do if you manage to drag yourself up out of that tent or comfy hotel bed. Horse riding, surf lessons, beach walks and Go Karting. Sea Sessions also has Barefoot Beach Olympics - Tag Rugby, Beach Soccer, Volleyball…Phew, that’s enough eh?
9. The people. The locals are sound, they love the festival and really get into the spirit of things. Festival goers are always welcome and they don't get ripped off.
10. You guys. The Festival wouldn't be what it is without all the very cool festival fans that come along every year to enjoy the beach party vibes!
And we haven't even mentioned the stellar line up of international and Irish acts yet!
The Coronas, Primal Scream, Sigma, Foy Vance, All Tvvins, Badly Drawn Boy,Mr Scruff, Dreadzone, Little Hours, Chasing Abbey, Brian Deady, Daithi, Aine Cahill, Wyvern Lingo, Shit Robot, Gurr, Kormac, Talos, The Cuban Brothers, Caravan Sun, Otherkin, Stomptown Brass, Touts, Soule, Orchid Collective, Bitch Falcon, Jack O Rourke, Jafaris, Brand New Friend, Le Boom, The Clandestinos, Lo Cutz, Mick Pope, Dean Gurrie, Wild Youth, Ivy Nations, Penrose, Eve Bella, Apella, Eddie Kay, Tiz Mc Namara, Wolves of Youth, Mitch Presents, DJ Ferg, Anthony Collins, Keith Disconaut and more…