A young man has died after an incident at a mushroom growing house in Co Monaghan on Wednesday night

Emergency services were called to the business on the outskirts of Emyvale shortly after 8pm.

It is understood that a man, aged in his 20s, became fatally ill while working in one of the growing houses.

He collapsed and was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Separate investigations have been launched into the incident by the gardaí and the health and Safety Authority.

One theory being examined is that the man, who is originally from the area, was overcome by toxic fumes.

His body has been removed to hospital where a post-mortem examination will take place on Thursday morning.