Irishman faces US deportation
An undocumented Irish male has been detained by the US authorities in Boston and is now facing deportation.
It is understood that up to eight US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers raided the Irish man's apartment in Quincy at about 3pm last Wednesday.
Two Irishmen were identified as 'undocumented' immigrants and were taken into custody.
One of the men, believed to from Co Fermanagh, was subsequently released pending the outcome of a visa application which he had already submitted prior to his detection.
A second Irishman, believed to be in his late 20s and from the Connemara Gaeltacht, remains imprisoned in Suffolk County House of Correction.
The man had been due to appear before the courts to face drink-driving and a number of other related charges. It is reported the man and his family in Ireland are receiving assistance from the Irish Consulate in Boston.
A source who had spoken to both of the Irish immigrants' attorneys told the Irish Independent that the family of the Galway man is deeply upset at the situation.
"His family in Connemara are obviously quite distraught. It's not clear as to how ICE obtained their information, but this individual's court listings had been published."
A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs said they could not comment on individual cases. "We are aware of the case and have contacted the family, but we don't have any additional information."