To survive week-in week-out, you’ll need to be stocked up with all the things you didn’t need to think twice about when you were pampered at home; now it’s time to get real, and get organised.
Let’s give you a room-to-room guide on all the things you’re going to need to make your student accommodation feel like home, and remain a liveable zone.
First thing’s first, the kitchen is going to be your centre of food-making and eating, so keep it clean! Here’s a list of things you definitely need.
· J cloths
· An iron and ironing board
· Wash basket
· Clothes horse
· Plates, glasses cups, cutlery. Fill the kitchen!
· Toaster (Necessary for hurried late mornings)
· Microwave (Even necessarier)
· Can Opener
· Washing-up liquid
Bedroom & bathroom
The room you’ll be spending most time in whether it’s sleeping, daytime naps or recovering from the night before, so do your best to keep it tidy. Here’s a list of items essential to the best sleeping experience.
Curtains (don’t be surprised there’s nothing but a bare window awaiting you in the bedroom)
· Mattress (Hopefully there are one of these provided)
· Duvet, sheets, pillows, blanket (for the horrible Irish winters with a faulty heating system!)
· Towels, toilet bag (with stuff in it)
· Alarm clock (Because you can’t always rely on your phone!)
· Light bulbs
· Bedside lamp, Desk lamp, desk, bedside desk
· Photo Frames (Because all get sentimental sometimes)
· Bin (could do with one of these in every room)
Your living room, the most social place in your flat, may have the feel of a common room, but it’s important to give it a bit of your own style, so here’s a few thing you could add to make it more homely.
· A comfy cushion (the one you claim when you enter the room)
· Bean bag (the ultimate slouch chair after a day’s learning)
· A painting (or anything you can hang on the wall)
· Ornaments (any nukes and crannies you can decorate the mantle piece with)
· Coffee table/puf (something to put your feet up on)
· Mini hoover
An abundance of toilet paper is always a plus too. Live well, and enjoy the college life sensibly!